A delicious, hearty and healthy vegetable, corn is a satisfying addition to any meal. Its health benefits are truly amazing. Full of disease fighting nutrients corn is a terrific source of vitamin C, folic acid and niacin. Folic acid helps prevent heart disease and neural birth defects.
These pancakes are an imaginative way to include corn in your next meal. I love the inclusion of herbs and parmesan cheese to these pancakes. The flavour is given a wonderful boost. Also, because the eggs are separated and the whites beaten well before being added, the pancakes come out of the pan very light and fluffy. The whole family enjoyed these easy pancakes.
Please take your time and enjoy these delicious pancakes too.
See many more recipes for homemade pancakes at the bottom of the page. We hope you enjoy looking around our website.
Serves: 6 – 8 people
Makes approximately 18 pancakes
2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pepper to taste
2 eggs, separated
30 g (1 oz) butter, melted
3 cups milk
1 small can corn kernels, drained
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
oil or butter for griddle
1. In a large bowl sift plain flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, salt and pepper together.
2. In a different bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, melted butter and milk.
3. Carefully mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over beat the mixture.
4. Fold in the corn, parsley, chives and cheese.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
6. Lightly oil the griddle. Pour about 1/3 cup of mixture per pancake and spread out to the shape and size you desire. Cook over a moderate heat until golden in colour. Turn over and cook other side for a few extra minutes until the pancake is well cooked through.