Spinach and feta cheese. Mmm. A delicious combination! My family were very taken with these pancakes when we had them for supper recently. Although the children weren’t so keen on the mushroom sauce, my husband and I thought it complemented the pancakes perfectly.
Although fairly thin, these pancakes are very light and fluffy. The delectable chunks of melting feta cheese are a delightful sensation to the palate.
Spinach is something my younger children would normally refuse to eat but they were quite happy to eat them in this new way!
Spinach is an amazing super food that we should all be eating very regularly. It is very high in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins A, C and K. It is a very rich source source of manganese, magnesium, folate and iron which makes it a super protection against all types of diseases. No wonder Popeye ate it.
If your children baulk at eating spinach then try them with spinach pancakes. It might just do the trick!
We have many more recipes for homemade pancakes for you to view at the bottom of this page. We hope you enjoy looking through our website.
Spinach Pancakes Recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
Makes approximately 20 pancakes
2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
pepper to taste
2 eggs, separated
30 g (1 oz) butter, melted
3 cups milk
1 cup firmly packed baby English spinach leaves
90 g (3 oz) feta cheese, crumbled
oil or butter for griddle
1. Wash, dry and finely shred the spinach.
2. Sift the plain flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, salt and pepper together into a bowl.
3. Whisk together the egg yolks, melted butter and milk into another bowl. Add the spinach and mix well.
4. Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients with a metal spoon. Do not over beat the mixture.
5. Stir in the feta cheese.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter.
7. Lightly oil the griddle. Pour about 1/4 cup of mixture per pancake into the griddle. Cook for several minutes over a moderate heat until bubbles form and golden in colour. Turn over and cook other side for a few extra minutes.
8. Serve immediately while still warm.