One of our family’s favorite recipes made healthy and low fat! This version of baked macaroni and cheese is made with non-fat cheddar cheese and skim milk, yet it still tastes great! You could also substitute reduced-fat cheese for the non-fat if desired.
8 ounces dry macaroni
2 c. skim or non-fat milk
2 T. flour
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. non-fat cheddar cheese, shredded finely (helps it melt better)
salt, if desired
* Cook macaroni per package instructions, until just tender… al dente. Drain, rinse and set aside.
* Mix together 1/2 c. of the milk along with flour, pepper and Worcestershire sauce until smooth.
* Into a medium or large saucepan, add remaining 1 1/2 c. milk and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to avoid sticking.
* Add the flour to the heated milk and cook, while continuing to stir, for 1-2 minutes. This will be the thickening sauce for the cheese.
* Now add 1 1/2 c. of cheese to the milk and stir until the cheese is melted.
* Remove from heat and stir in the macaroni until combined well.
* Spread macaroni into a greased (with your choice of cooking spray), casserole dish.
* Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. (I cheat and use more cheese! ;o)
* Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 338mg (does not include added amount of salt, if desired)