What a delicious low fat version of pot roast, your family is sure to love this one!
2 ½ pounds top round roast or London broil
2 tsp. crushed garlic
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 bay leaves
¾ c. beef broth
5 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 ½ tsp. beef bouillon granules
3 T. unbleached flour
¼ c. water
½ c. non-fat sour cream
* Trim fat from the roast and rinse. Pat dry with a paper towel and spread garlic and pepper over all sides. Brown the meat in a large oven-proof skillet (with cooking spray) for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
* Spread onions over the meat. Place bay leaves in skillet and add broth. Cover tightly and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
* Remove skillet from oven and carefully remove cover (careful of the steam). Place vegetables around the meat, cover, and return to oven for 45 additional minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
* For the gravy, discard the bay leaves and pour the meat drippings into a fat separator cup. Add enough water to the defatted drippings to equal 1 ¼ c. total. Place drippings into a small saucepan and add bouillon granules, bringing to a boil over med. heat. Combine flour and water until smooth and slowly pour into the boiling gravy. Cook until the gravy is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
* Reduce heat to low and add the sour cream. Whisk until heated through and serve with the meat and vegetables.