My husband grew being up allergic to eggs, so when I heard about a reader’s request for a cake recipe for her daughter who suffers from the same allergy, I knew I had a recipe around the house somewhere! This carrot cake is made with olive oil, whole-wheat pastry flour and crushed pineapple, so as well as not having any eggs, it’s also very healthy!
If you or someone in your family has an allergy to eggs, I know finding recipes for cakes and other baked goods can be difficult. This recipe for Carrot Cake, adapted from Eating Well for Optimum Health, by Dr. Andrew Weil, M.D., is a great one to try. Enjoy!
2 c. finely grated carrots
juice of 1 large orange
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. light olive oil
1 c. honey, (melt in microwave 30 seconds)
1/2 c. crushed pineapple
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole-wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
3/4 c. walnuts, chopped
* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Mix together the first 6 ingredients.
* In a separate bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients.
* Add the dry ingredients into the wet ones, just until blended.
* Bake in a 8-inch square pan for 50-60 minutes until done. (Insert the tip of a knife into the center of the cake and make sure it comes out clean.)
* Remove cake from the oven and let cool slightly before turning out onto a cake plate.
* Frost if desired.
Recipe from https://www.foodnetwork.com/